Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Filet Americain

As my readers may recall, the Dutch like to put spreads on their bread in order to make a “sandwich.” One such spread is called Filet Americain, and from what I can figure, it’s basically some sort of raw meat concoction that looks like ground beef so finely mushed up that it’s the consistency of mashed potatoes.
SICK, right!? That’s what I said. I tried a bite upon Anne’s request (well, basically she made me) and while I somehow was able to chew it and swallow it down, the whole time I was thinking, “It’s okay. You can make it through this.” My question is how in the heck can they call something I’ve never seen in my LIFE Filet Americain? I mean, they have given this spread the name American -- which would seem to me means they think it’s quintessential American. And it’s like, so totally not American AT ALL! Duh.
Would you ever eat this?

I wouldn’t recommend it!
Where is the hagelslag?

2 comments:

trudy said...

Why is it, mmm, orange? Because of the football (soccer) club? Exactly what part of the cow does that come from?

ctengia said...

It's the color of raw ground beef! I'm telling you - I may have tried the herring, but I wasn't going NEAR that stuff!