Thursday, June 26, 2008

Amsterdam vs. Atlanta


I recently asked myself: “If aliens abducted all of my loved ones, including my co-workers at Jackson Spalding, would I move to Amsterdam?” Well, before I can answer this question properly, one must first know that before moving anywhere I would embark on a mission to defeat the aliens and restore order to the South and frankly, to the World. However, if that didn’t pan out, and moving was on the table, I’d have to first evaluate Amsterdam on the three non-people factors of my Atlanta life that I cannot, absolutely cannot live without:

1) Scott’s Cult… I mean, step class at Ansley Mall’s LA Fitness
2) Midtown Nails (quick and cheap mani/pedi – usually worth it)
3) Piedmont Park

I realize to some these three factors may sound frivolous and maybe even shallow, but I’m just being honest about what I enjoy. Nothing beats an Atlanta weekend that is kicked off by Scott’s 5:45 p.m. step class on Friday and includes a mani/pedi and a stroll through the park on Saturday or Sunday. Enjoying these things like I do in Atlanta, I tried to learn if Amsterdam could compete.
The verdict…

1) An advanced step aerobics class: the research on this point is somewhat weak, but what I learned is that a good advanced step class is difficult to find. Once I found a gym that even offered step classes (and called to sign up for the next class), the lady on the phone informed me that the Internet schedule was wrong and there wouldn’t be another step class until Thursday – after my Wednesday departure! Nuts! But no sweat, though. I figure it was fate that I would not be able to claim having mastered a Dutch step class – no instructor in the world could possibly be as good as Scott.* (*YES, this is an example of shameful brown nosing that BETTER earn me at least two class song dedications upon my return!)
WINNER: ATLANTA

2) An inexpensive, quick, yet good-looking mani/pedi at a place where you can get an appointment at the drop of a hat AND occasionally run into Jane Fonda: impossible to find. (This is true for many places – not just Amsterdam. Jane Fonda aside, try finding a GOOD mani/pedi equal to Midtown Nails in Columbia, SC. Laughable.) However, I couldn’t go without a pedicure after a certain point, so I broke down and gave myself one. Despite my fears and lack of experience in this area, it looked good! This feat really gave me sense of self-satisfaction (and saved me some money for more poffitjures).
WINNER: A DRAW

3) An amazing park: The most memorable day of my stay in Amsterdam was one spent at Vondelpark… the day was gorgeous, the company was nice, and I was in Holland. I don’t want to betray good old Piedmont Park, but I can’t deny who the winner is here.
WINNER: AMSTERDAM

In all of this evaluating, there was one dark horse element about Holland that I never anticipated loving like I did (and still do). LUNCH AT VAN LUYKEN.
Lunch at Van Luyken… this topic really deserves its own blog entry – it’s that amazing. So look for it to come….
And to conclude today’s exhilarating entry for any of you needless American worriers, I am not moving to Amsterdam. But I will say, all frivolity aside – the city has won my heart over forever. Amsterdam will always be my European home.
How could you not love a city where people bike everywhere?
Where kitties make cuddly window ornaments (this is fake bread, by the way)
Where there are houses this adorable and purple?

3 comments:

Anne said...

Meis, you didn't really search hard to find you MP and SC...so the final score is a bit weak..but he.. didn't spoil the fun!

When moving...just hop on th 5 and I'm waiting for you with lots of Pink Fuzz...:-)

Kus An

Anne said...

Meis, you didn't really search hard to find you MP and SC...so the final score is a bit weak..but he.. didn't spoil the fun!

When moving...just hop on th 5 and I'm waiting for you with lots of Pink Fuzz...:-)

Kus An

kurokitty said...

Maybe you could ask the aliens to move all of those things to Amsterdam. Then what would you do?
lol