Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hup Holland Hup! Netherlands 3 - Italy NIL


Football fans worldwide (and I'm really talking about soccer fans worldwide):

Take note! I may be the luckiest girl alive (or, as Anne would translate in Dutch, I may be what is known here as a "Sunday child"): not only do I regularly score tickets for sporting events you men would die for (Masters tickets, anyone?), but I was able to witness history on Monday night as Holland crushed ITALY (as in, the WORLD CUP CHAMPION, ITALY!) in the first round of the European 2008 Football Championships. Holland hasn't been European Champion since 1988, mind you...

So, maybe I wasn't in Bern, where the game was played, but I was in the living room of Hans Weijel (pictured above, with Anne and me) in Amstelveen, a surburb of Amsterdam, and that was just as good. I was in Holland! The entire country was bleeding orange... orange, orange, everywhere, and for once in my life I didn't feel my gag reflex kicking in...
In fact, I was really into the spirit! We (and yes, by "we," I mean HOLLAND) were the underdog! What self-respecting Gamecock fan couldn't relate to (and dig) that?

I certainly did!


The game started, and excitement that this blog cannot adequately communicate (and more delicious Dutch food) abounded...

Now, if you want the play by play of the game and stats and all of that, you'll have to read this: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=232261&cc=5739.

But all you really need to know is that
a) soccer players are usually nice to ogle, no matter the team;
b) Holland wasn't supposed to win! BUT WE SCORED FIRST!
After that happened, Hans jumped out of his seat and then up and down in front of the TV. I've dropped my camera so many times that I wasn't able to get a good image of his boyish behavior, so this will have to do:
I was equally enthused when the score was Holland, 1; Italy, NIL!
The game went on some more... we were holding on to our lead and THEN WE SCORED GOAL #2!!!!!

Anne, true to her Hollander heritage, also jumped up and down like a nut!


And here's Hans with total out-of-control enthusiasm when the score is HOLLAND, 3- NIL! You may not be able to see the crazed look in his eyes, but it was there, and at this point, all he wanted was for the game to end so the victory would be secure! (Me, too!)
AND WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a game! The headlines were huge and orange the next day:
I'm a Holland soccer fan for life. Can't wait til Friday, when we play France...but until then, let's just remember:
LAAT DE LEEUW NIET IN ZIJN HEMPJE STAAN - HUP, HOLLAND, HUP!

2 comments:

Really? said...

Hmmm...Way to go Holland. I really can support that win but tomorrow I'm 100% France. Allez les bleus.
PS - Heather, Meredith and I were on a reality show! Can't wait to fill you in :)

MLSinNYC said...

Yep, Holland is doing well with another game today I think... Glad you're getting to enjoy what "real football" is all about.

Eric and Emily told me about your adventure over there, so thought I would say hello. Hope all is well.

Take care