Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Priceless Expressions

I quite enjoy the Dutch way of phrasing things.

SOME DUTCH WORDS I'VE COME TO LOVE HEARING/TRYING TO SAY:

Goedenmorgen - "good morning" (I've gotten really great at saying this one, guttural “g”sounds and all.)

Dankjewel - "thank you"

Alsjeblieft – "please" or "you’re welcome." It’s still not clear to me when to use it for the purpose of "you're welcome," but Anouk says I have to say "alsejeblieft" to her all the time. Go figure!

Graag gedaan - "you're welcome"

Proost - "cheers"

AND EVEN BETTER: SOME LOVABLE DUTCH/ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS*:
She sold her skin very expensive (she made it seem like she was worth a lot, but she wasn't)

I will learn you how to do that ("learn" is often interchanged with "teach")

I choose for you or we choose for each other

I respect for that

In the wild

She’s a Sunday child (she's very lucky - things always go her way)

We sell fried air (I heard someone in the PR industry say this. ;) For the purposes of this blog - I respectfully disagree with this statement.)

We sell baked air (same as above, it's just better for you, I guess!)

You fell with your nose in the butter (if you saw how much butter they ate here, it wouldn't seem hard to fall with your nose in it. Yet it actually means you're having a run of good luck!)

Kiss with him (you don't kiss him, you kiss with him)

She's a career tiger (she's very ambitious)

You walk a little blue (een blauwtje lopen - means you got dogged by a person of the opposite sex)

Clear the sky (the Dutch take on "clear the air")

Everything is pink (everything is rosy)

This next translation is more of a way of speaking than an exact translation. Basically, Dutch people like to say THING of PERSON vs. PERSON's THING. For example:

the keys of my sister vs. my sister's keys

the turkey of Carrie vs. Carrie's turkey
the father of Anouk vs. Anouk's father

AND THE BEST: SOME ANNE-SPECIFIC EXPRESSIONS*:
Can you imagine? (This may sound pretty ordinary to some of you readers, but it’s got to be said in a Dutch accent for you to get the full effect!)

Typing fast… it gives me so much joy. (Not all Dutch, or Americans, for that matter, enjoy the art of typing like Anne and I do.)

The date cloth was great. I did not meet Mr.-Next-to-God there, but it was great.

The accent of your mom. It’s so heartwarming! It's so great! How could you get out from under the wings of that accent?
(Another Anne spectacular. Amazingly, I knew what she meant after she and Mama exchanged hellos over my speakerphone!)

I sank through the floor. (Upon feeling embarrassed)

AND EVEN MORE BEST: SOME ANOUK-SPECIFIC EXPRESSIONS*:

I don't want to work today! (Don't worry Jan Hendrik, Hans, etc.: Anouk only sings this song, which is popular now on the radio, to make Bas and me laugh.)

I love myself. --Actually, I do.

I keep it for myself.
*Disclaimer: I realize, dear Dutch friends, that your English is about a billion times better than my Dutch will ever be… this is all in great fun. I adore how you speak!

No comments: