Friday, June 27, 2008

I Love Lunch


I thought we had a great lunch system at Jackson Spalding. Dine out when you want to at one of the many wonderful nearby restaurants. Grab a healthy sandwich at MetroFresh, or an Asian salad at Fresh2Order. Walk over to Colony Square for some Chick-fil-A. In the mood for Mexican? Head to Twisted Taco. Or bring your lunch, and eat with co-workers in Jackson Spalding's "Oasis." Too busy? Pick up Maximo’s from downstairs and eat at your desk. Errands to run? Take care of them at lunch.
That's all great, but for years to come I’m going to miss the Van Luyken lunches. Every day in Haarlem lunch is provided, and the office eats as a group. At 12:30 p.m. sharp, work stops, and everyone gathers in the lunchroom. You get in line, grab a plate, slice yourself some fresh cucumber, grab a fresh tomato or two, then sit down in front of a delicious array of Dutch “sandwich” items. Fresh, soft bread. Various meats and cheeses. Numerous spreads, like bacon/egg or gouda cheese spread. Go on, make yourself a couple of sandwiches (that means you’ve put a piece of bread down with a variety of toppings on top – the Dutch don’t use two pieces of bread for a “sandwich” like we Americans do. Also, sandwiches are eaten with a fork/knife). Don’t be shy! Get yourself some yogurt. Add fresh fruit – kiwi, anyone? Cherries? Add some honey. And don’t forget your light-as-air cracker with butter and hagelslag for dessert.
Though I teased Hans that I would simply miss the food aspect of lunch – that is not true. Almost as good as the food ;) is the camaraderie built over daily discussions. It’s the only part of the day where everyone at Van Luyken sees each other. I know that Jackson Spalding is too big to instate a lunch system like this one on a daily basis (nor would many people want to do so, I think), but I think we should consider implementing something along these lines once or twice a month, or something. And not in the form of an official meeting or presentation, but just a lunch, where we all spend time talking, exchanging ideas or even making fun of the new girl who can’t speak our language. ;) Just a joke… I don’t think my Van Luyken co-workers made fun of me (in front of me) in Dutch. Well, I don’t think they did it that much, anyway.
But they had to have snickered at me, taking all of these pictures.

Bas in line.



The fresh cucumbers and tomatoes that showed up at every lunch.


The meat and cheese trays.


The Van Luyken crew in action.


Around the table. I am about to go for thirds... seriously!

No comments: