Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Governor's School Reunion at Central Station

For those of you who know me well, you know that one of the most influential experiences of my life occurred in 1995 when I attended the South Carolina Governor's School in Charleston, SC. The program is for rising high school seniors who are able to convince the admissions folks they are somewhat above-average in intellect and creativity (clearly, some people slipped through the cracks).

I made some lifelong friendships during my time as a Guvie (...even though not one of my Governor's School friends has left a single comment on my blog...), and so it only made sense to round out my experience by going back as a counselor in the summer of 2001. Being a counselor was also a highly rewarding experience and while there, I became a mentor of sorts to one young smartypants, Thomas Scott. (Quite frankly, he mentors me at this point!)

So the very cool news - Thomas is living in den Haag this summer while interning for the International Criminal Court. I can't blog about the specifics of the tyrant he is helping defend (let's just call him Anakin Skywalker), but Thomas is learning a lot AND he is available to hang out here and there since he's so close. This is great news, because since he graduated from our shared alma mater (note: he is the redhead pictured in the "award winning students" box), he has traveled to and worked in DC, Nambia, and now he's a law student at Stanford, so I haven't seen him in quite a while.

I'm very proud of Thomas and was thrilled to finally catch up over lunch and a tour around Amsterdam last Saturday.





Us in front of the gorgeous construction taking place at Central Station.

During 2001 Governor's School, Thomas and I formed the "Brown Red" Club -- brown eyes, red hair. We were the exclusive members that summer. I like to call him my "little bro," even though he towers over me.

No comments: