Monday, June 9, 2008

England encounters a Dutch star

Quick update on where the week took me... from tiny Madurodam to hopping Amsterdam!

Tuesday night I spent my first night at Anouk’s apartment, which is in de Pijp (pronounced like "pipe") neighborhood of Amsterdam. De Pijp is a very trendy and hip place to be, so we strolled through the streets and went to dinner at a wonderful Greek restaurant named Nazars.

Then, after work on Wednesday, Anouk and I cooked at her place (believe it or not, I did help!) before going for a beer with Erik at Hesp, a cool spot right on the Amstel River. The evenings here are so amazing – it doesn’t get dark until after 10 p.m., so I have a false sense of energy (and how late I can stay out!).

The real fun, however, started on Thursday night when Anouk, Carolijn and I went to dinner in Haarlem. Haarlem is so cute and quaint – you can turn one corner to find two stunning ladies right out of the 21st century, posing for my blog...


[Carolijn is the Claudia Schiffer look-alike on the left; Anouk the dark-haired lady on the right]

...or you can turn another corner and find an equally compelling character coming straight out of the Dutch history books.

While in Haarlem, we ate at a cute place called La Plume, where I had my first Dutch saté (yummy!). Then, we headed to a place called the Claus Party House for an Austrian Airlines (Van Luyken client) travel agent appreciation event. SC and Atlanta folks – to stir up a mental image of the Claus Party House – think something along the lines of Bubba 'n Bucks (from years ago, minus the line dancing) or American Pie or Cowboys...and add a bowling alley. It made for some seriously fabulous people-watching, AND we got to hear the croonings of the Netherlands’ very own musical sensation Wolter Kroes! I am now thoroughly addicted to the ditty he composed for Holland’s football team, meant to inspire players and fans alike….and if you don’t believe that it’s catchy, listen for yourself! Jackson Spalding Delta Team – take note. You may want to try and book Mr. Kroes NOW!


The ladies of Van Luyken and Wolter Kroes!


4 comments:

Brian said...

Carrie:

Looks like you are having a great time. A catchy tune indeed!

Brian

Katherine Strate said...

I vote that Vohl-tur (I hope that's how they pronounce it :) come to our JS staff retreat. Now that would be QUITE a show.

trudy said...

So, what is saté? Will it make my hair red? Will it make my face red? (Doug)

Unknown said...

Was he the guy in the airplane video?