Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Orange Crush

NEWS FLASH! Holland is no longer in the EuroCup. I am sure those of you who care about soccer knew that already. For me, just typing the words still stings, so that's why it took me so long to post this entry.

Just for some backstory before getting into the details of the big L -- the crew and I (Anne, Anouk, Carolijn and Klaas) watched Holland defeat Romania on Tuesday, June 17 at Barcelona in da Pijp. The victory seemed to come handily, but we all knew that Saturday's game -- against Russia -- would be the next big test for our Lions.

Saturday arrived and I was pretty pumped to bust out the Blokker shirt yet again. (Surprisingly, I've come to really enjoy wearing orange...who says a redhead can't?) After a day of touring around town, Whit and I met Anne and Nienke at a cafe called De Fountein in De Nieuwmarkt ("new market" – contrary to the name, it’s one of the oldest parts of Amsterdam). Thomas and his friend Scott also took a train in from Den Haag to watch the game with us.

Our view of the TV

Things started off relatively good. We weren't playing the best soccer there is (says the American girl), but I had high hopes that we could pull it out regardless. But nothing I could do -- not even the mighty roar of my Blokker shirt -- could save the Leeuw. To borrow a real phrase from the Dutch (nope - I'm not making this up): that night, by losing to Russia like we did --
we left the Lion standing in his underpants.

Despite the Holland football players leaving the King of the Jungle decked out in nothing but his skivvies, the gang and I still went on with our night. Karaoke abounded at one of the most crowded places I've ever been in (Casablanca), as did late night Febo and Flemish-style fries (mayo and all).

"Little Bro T"and me

It was at this moment in my karaoke rendition of "One Fine Day" that I realized, "Why am I doing this?" Thomas and Whit must have realized that, too, because moments later they came to rescue me on the stage.


Anne and Whit


Even though Holland lost, it ended up being a great night in Amsterdam!

3 comments:

Randall Kirsch said...

You need to leave that lion shirt standing in its underpants. And by that I mean please don't bring that monstrosity stateside.

Anne said...

Meis, you didn't really search hard to find you MP and SC...so the final score is a bit weak..but he.. didn't spoil the fun!

When moving...just hop on th 5 and I'm waiting for you with lots of Pink Fuzz...:-)

Kus An

Anne said...

hmmm..finally I can post stuff, not being anymore the host of all the expressions, fun and champaign..I place at the wrong blog..I'll keep on trying...