Saturday, June 28, 2008

Heroes

On Tuesday, Anne arranged to spend the evening with a young girl she mentors, Halima. Originally from Morocco, Halima is fifteen and is approaching her exam year in school (the year that Joy and Milou just passed). Anne mentors her on a variety of subjects, including English. On this particular evening, Halima was working on a book report about the novel “Heroes.” Anne asked if I would help out since my English is passable. ;)
I include this evening on my blog not only because it was interesting to meet and spend time with Halima, but also to say WOW about the volume of work required by Dutch students learning English! “Heroes” was about an American soldier returning from war with a disfigured face (I skimmed through the book in order to help – it was uplifting, let me tell ya), and Halima had to answer 26 pages worth of intense essay questions! One question required she write a conversation about what she’d say to a rape crisis counselor if she ever needed that sort of help (like I said, the book was really uplifting). Keep in mind – English is Halima’s third language.
The key Learning here (which I have thought during my entire stay in Holland but was really brought home to me when tutoring Halima): it’s lame to speak only one language. It’s even lamer to live in a country where learning (to fluency) a second language isn’t just simply a given as part of the fabric of our education system. Boo America. I wish Halima could have answered me this hypothetical question along with her 26 others: Where are the heroes (preferably multilingual!) who can improve America’s education system!?
Rant over... here's Halima, Anne and I studying.


3 comments:

trudy said...

If only "lack of emphasis on foreign language instruction" were the only problem with U.S. education...

Doug (not Trudy)

ctengia said...

I know, I know...:)

Anne said...

tnx C for writing about H! Just let me ad that this kind of extended book reports where new to me too..